Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus OS  (Read 44413 times)

DimProfi

• http://www.dimprofi.de
Re: Lazarus OS
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:46 am »
I have no idea what RTL is (do you mean the television company from Luxembourg? ;-) )
Congratulations with your graduation then ;-)

Yeah! An I have RTL 2.0 = RTL II :)
Lazarus 1.2/FPC 2.6.4 (x86/x86_64/win32/win64/Linux) :: Be smart - use predictable {$INTERFACES CORBA}! :)

bobc

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 01:25:23 pm »
Ah, if only I had a €1 every time someone said "I want to write an OS in Pascal".... I think it's a waste of effort, but it writing an OS is good experience. IME the one thing we don't need more of is more OSes. A lot of people think, "if only I could write a new one, it would be the best ever!", but after having got it to sort of work on one target, the real world problem of supporting 10's of different platforms is a killer.

It's worth remembering that one failed attempt to develop an OS in a high-level language led to the creation of Unix and C.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 06:07:30 pm »
fpGUI?
Can it be used with fpOS? for fpOS GUI window? like LinuX kDE?
I've thought about it, looks possible. But I have to have low level graphics rendering API first.

LazaruX

• Lazarus original cheetah.The cheetah doesn't cheat
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 10:02:52 pm »
Wow wow wow, 2 days I don't look and already so many pages.

Regarding the kernel, I have though about it and think you are all right. It will take too much time to make drivers, bla bla bla.
But let me remind you the words OS are not equal to kernel. The kernel is just a part of the OS.
I think the easiest thing to do would be to start with the Linux kernel.

I knew about XPDE and its when I see things like that XPDE or IceWM or XFCE its then that I think a better cross compatible alternative should be build.

>If you guys have plenty of spare time, why don't you help improving Lazarus?
>I think this is a better idea.

I unfortunatly don't have enough spare time and I think most of the people here do not also, My idea was just an idea to share, if ever somebody wan'ts to start it, then good. The priority obviously first remains the Lazarus IDE.

I didn't knew about your idea Felipe, in the past I had also this idea of a Desktop environment. I think the project of Felipe is the point to start.
Unfortonatly the Wiki is sometimes a bit a mess (I think) I never read about your projects Felipe.
We start from there!

xenblaise

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:13 am »
>If you guys have plenty of spare time, why don't you help improving Lazarus?
>I think this is a better idea.
They are, but for a another better solution Put LAZARUS in the bOX

How would they know Lazarus?
Package it with LazLi

I think the easiest thing to do would be to start with the Linux kernel.
I've post this many times last week.  Call it LazLi.
LazLi with pre-configured Lazarus iDE
Lazarus iDE with pre-configure Gecko, FCL-Web, WebDesign and jQuery packages, Zeos Databasa connection component, xON script, LazPaint, Kambi, others, others that are good to go.

and a LOT of samples for using dekstop apps, and web apps of fcl, like the whole source code of this link;
http://services.cnoc.nl/lazarus/index/main

NO apache web server, because fcl-web is running as a sample fcl-web server.

Lazarus with pre-configured Database models like mysql, sqlite, oraclesql, postgresql, firebird, drop microsoft sql.

The LazLi must have a minimal package installed, a minimal desktop designer installed, default kDE,  along with ssh,fpt,samba,http<fcl> and all very most important for a simple desktop and server.

And lastly, don't use derived from any redhat,debian,slackware, we build from Swiss knife kit from scratch.

Ok;
I'm thinking to build it personally, but I have a less time implementing it, maybe I'll supervise the development, talk and develop.

Now I'm tired saying.
We start here;
Who's with me?

I have post many about this,  I'm sure someones really didn't read the whole post.

thanks for the reply Leledumbo

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 08:22:58 am »
Not so sure about a full OS, but a GUI i have been sometimes thinking, though not sure if its realistic.

All Windows versions use explorer.exe to handle the user interface. If you replace that file with your own you can draw your own kind of desktop, Start menus and so on. One example of this is http://www.astonshell.com/

I don't know much details on what explorer.exe exactly means so its bit of an obstacle. I would fully use OpenGL for this for better looks and feeling.

captian jaster

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 06:24:13 pm »
On a side note,instead of using a ready developed Kernel, why not make one?
http://wiki.osdev.org/Pascal
One of the reasons I started programming was because I wanted to make on Operating System and I read this a bit once. I like the idea of making an Operating System and Applications with Lazarus but, we are gonna need to learn Assembly and Work on Lazarus a bit. Its still buggy ya know :) (Buts I luvs it). Another question. I want to begin developing a little kernel perhaps. How can I set up Lazarus to do this?.. Ill make sure to share it with you guys.. Also Click on this

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 11:48:59 pm »
I want to begin developing a little kernel perhaps. How can I set up Lazarus to do this?
Nothing special for Lazarus, a kernel is just another program. You should setup FPC RTL for your OS instead. Take a look at my FPOS and open rtl/fpos for an example. Those are OS specific things you have to implement. I use FPC's linux target anyway, though my OS isn't and won't be linux compliant.

Wodzu

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 10:12:09 am »
Guys, we need a native FPC debugger, this is something we should focus on :(

carli

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 01:50:08 pm »
Don't start with a kernel.

Try to write a window manager and a desktop environment for linux.

ahmetnurideniz

• As you sow, you shall reap.
    • Big Student Web Site
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 04:12:21 pm »
Who use your OS?
If it is for desktop anyone never use it. Because there are a lot of desktop alternative.
You should write for small device like Pocket phone google Android.
I think 5 years later next generation devices has a bios and web browser. All aplications will work on the web.

captian jaster

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 06:27:01 pm »
Who use your OS?
If it is for desktop anyone never use it. Because there are a lot of desktop alternative.
You should write for small device like Pocket phone google Android.
I think 5 years later next generation devices has a bios and web browser. All aplications will work on the web.

Thats a very negative way of looking at it. People make operating systems everyday as a hobby not to care about who will use it at the end of the road but to enjoy the road to.. We could make a Web OS since I do know some people who may want to make web applications. We just have build up a web parser.. Theres plenty of Web operating systems in the world and plenty of operating systems in the world.. None made by the Lazarus community :)

irfanbagus

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 02:47:40 am »
before anyone write anything, please read this article
http://www.osnews.com/story/24270/Hobby_OS-deving_1_Are_You_Ready_

and then this
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Roadmap
and see how many parts/items still "partially implemented" or "not implemented"

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 01:29:47 am »
Some of you are planning to create Lazarus distro. Then you may be interested in this: http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=3028

I found it because I am interested in KDE-based distros and I want try something else/new (afer ~2 years with Kubuntu).

BTW It seems Chakra-Project admin (Amnon82) has acount here http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?action=profile;u=5157 but is not active since 2007.

I am going to try this distro   ::)
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

z0rr0

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2011, 12:22:06 pm »
Hi just for be clear:
- TORO 1.X.X is an complete OS. I made a shell and I ported FPC 1.0.6 to Toro so I can make toro's app directly from FPC.
- TORO 0.XX is a kernel included in a RTL, Then you can make a heavy app an it would run alone in the system without any OS. I am working in this proyect at the moment. A hard thing it is the debugging, in this way I have to use ECLIPSE for step by step executation, I would want to use Lazarus but it doesn't have that feature (maybe someone wants to do that ;).

In general case, a big project is a lot of little tasks and every little task may not be very funny. To make a big project, you need organization, take anyone idea and scheduled.

I am living in France at the moment working in the INRIA, I know that there are q lot of french people here.

Best Regards, Matias E. Vara
www.torokernel.org   

TinyPortal © 2005-2018